Hawks Repeat in GSAC Men’s Tennis
MACON, Ga. ---- The Huntingdon men’s tennis team captured its second straight Great South Athletic Conference Men's Tennis Championship title Sunday afternoon by avenging its regular-season loss to Maryville with a 5-1 victory in the tournament finals.
The Scots defeated Huntingdon during the regular season 6-3, snapping its streak of nine consecutive wins against league members.
The Hawks took a 2-1 lead after doubles and never looked back in the victory.
Huntingdon’s No. 1 doubles team of senior Glenn Rudolph and sophomore B.J. Foroughian scored an 8-4 victory over the Scots’ William Alexander and Jimmy Fulton. Freshman Sean Jackson and sophomore Zach Molin picked up the Hawks second point as their No. 3 doubles team came from a 4-3 deficit to beat Shin Arita and Andrew Hazel by a final score of 8-5.
The Hawks also had an opportunity to take the final doubles match, but Maryville's Brady Neal and Matt Limone outlasted junior Kent Hagan and freshman Jonathan Hibbert, 9-8.
Huntingdon sealed the victory by picking up three straight points in the singles competition, while also holding the lead in two other matches.
Molin made quick work of Arita at the No. 6 position, rolling to a 6-1, 6-2 victory. Jackson rallied for a second time in the afternoon, pulling out the No. 5 singles win after dropping the first set to Limone, before dominating the final two, 2-6, 6-0, 6-2. Hibbert put the finishing touches on the championship repeat by defeating Hazel in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2.
After rallying in both singles and doubles play, Jackson was named the Tournament’s Most Valuable Player.
With the win, the Hawks finished their 2009 season with a 9-6 overall record. Huntingdon also improves to 13-2 in its last 15 matches against GSAC opponents.
1. Glenn Rudolph/B.J. Foroughian (HC) def. William Alexander/Jimmy Fulton (MC), 8-4
2. Brady Neal/Matthew Limone (MC) vs. Kent Hagan/Jonathan Hibbert (HC), 9-8 (7-5)
3. Zack Molin/Sean Jackson (HC) def. Shin Arita/Andrew Hazel (MC) 8-5
1. Glenn Rudolph (HC) led William Alexander (MC), 6-1, 6-6
2. Jimmy Fulton (MC) led B.J. Foroughian (HC), 6-4, 3-3
3. Kent Hagan (HC) led Brady Neal (MC) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0
4. Jonathan Hibbert (HC) def. Andrew Hazel (MC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Sean Jackson (HC) def. Matthew Limone (MC) 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
6. Zack Molin (HC) def. Shin Arita (MC) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
Singles: 6, 5, 4 (Match Called)
ABC Montgomery Poll