Women’s Tennis Tournament Title Falls Short
MACON, Ga. ---- The Huntingdon women’s tennis team had its attempt for a third-consecutive Great South Athletic Conference Women’s Tennis Tournament Championship fall short, as it fell to Agnes Scott 5-2 in the final round on Sunday afternoon.
The Lady Hawks end the season with an 11-5 overall record, while the loss also snaps a 22 match winning streak against GSAC opponents.
Huntingdon fell behind after the doubles portion, dropping two of the three matches. Agnes Scott took the No. 3 doubles victory, while the Hawks tied the match with a win at the No. 2 position. The difference came at the No. 1 doubles spot, as the Scotties’ Esther Kaplan and Natalie Mayer trailed 5-2 to junior Riley Prescott and freshman Christian Vick, before storming back to take the match 8-6.
In singles play, the Lady Hawks evened the score at two points a piece, when junior Kristi McDaniel cruised to victory over Tara Brinkman, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 3 position.
However, the Scotties regained the lead when ASC’s Danielle Patton defeated freshman Kayla Heetland 6-2, 6-3. Freshman Madison Jackson later fell to Lindsey Burdette, 6-1, 6-4, at the No. 2 position, before Vick was knocked off by Natalie Mayer, 6-0, 6-4, at the No. 4 spot.
The tournament's Most Valuable Player honor was awarded to Burdette, who won her No. 2 singles match, as well as her No. 3 doubles match with partner Shamonique Jones.
With the victory, Agnes Scott has automatically qualified for the Division III NCAA National Tennis Championship, and team selections and match-ups will be announced on May 4.
1. Esther Kaplan/Natalie Mayer (ASC) def. Riley Prescott/Christian Vick (HC), 8-6
2. Kristi McDaniel/Kayla Heetland (HC) def. Danielle Patton/Tara Brinkman (ASC), 8-2
3. Lindsey Burdette/Shamonique Jones (ASC) def. Jaclyn Crossman/Madison Jackson (HC), 8-1
1. Esther Kaplan (ASC) tied with Riley Prescott (HC), 6-2, 5-7
2. Lindsey Burdette (ASC) def. Madison Jackson (HC), 6-1, 6-4
3. Kristi McDaniel (HC) def. Tara Brinkman (ASC), 6-2, 6-3
4. Natalie Mayer (ASC) def. Christian Vick (HC), 6-0, 6-4
5. Shamonique Jones (ASC) led Jaclyn Crossman (HC), 6-4, 5-3 (30-15)
6. Danielle Patton (ASC) def. Kayla Heetland (HC), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles: 3, 2, 1
Singles: 3, 6, 2, 4 (Match Called)