Huntingdon Women’s Tennis Rallies For 5-4 Victory Over Agnes Scott To Keep Conference Win Streak Alive
MONTGOMERY, Ala. ---- Junior Riley Prescott and freshman Christian Vick each captured three-set victories to close out a 5-4 win by the Huntingdon women’s tennis team over Agnes Scott on Friday, and in the process, extend the Lady Hawks’ win streak against Great South Athletic Conference opponents to 19 matches.
The Lady Hawks (6-3, 3-0 GSAC) trailed 2-1 after the doubles portion of the match and 4-3 after four singles matches. Needing wins in the two remaining matches, Prescott and Vick each got off to good starts, winning the first set, but fell in the second set, forcing a deciding third in each match.
Prescott was able to hold off defending GSAC Player of the Year Esther Kaplan at the top spot, 6-0, 1-6, 6-2, while Vick completed the comeback with a 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 victory over Shamonique Jones at the No. 4 position.
Other winners in singles action were sophomore Kristi McDaniel at the No. 3 position and freshman Madison Jackson at the No. 2 spot.
The lone double win for the Lady Hawks came from Jackson and fellow freshman Jaclyn Crossman at the No. 3 double position.
Huntingdon will look to earn its 20th straight win against league opponents on Tuesday, March 31, when it hosts LaGrange at 3:30 p.m.
1. Esther Kaplan/Natalie Mayer (ASC) def. Riley Prescott/Kayla Heetland (HC), 8-3
2. Tara Brinkman/Danielle Patton (ASC) def. Kristi McDaniel/Christian Vick (HC), 8-6
3. Madison Jackson/Jaclyn Crossman (HC) def. Lindsey Burdette/Shamonique Jones (ASC), 8-6
1. Riley Prescott (HC) def. Esther Kaplan (ASC), 6-0, 1-6, 6-2
2. Madison Jackson (HC) def. Lindsey Burdette (ASC), 6-2, 6-3
3. Kristi McDaniel (HC) def. Tara Brinkman (ASC), 6-3, 6-3
4. Christian Vick (HC) def. Shamonique Jones (ASC), 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
5. Natalie Mayer (ASC) def. Kayla Heetland (HC), 6-0, 6-2
6. Amanda Chaffin (ASC) def. Jaclyn Crossman (HC), 6-3, 6-0
ABC Montgomery Poll