It's a question people across the area were asking themselves Wednesday. Health officials say Pike County is feeling the effects of a chemical spill in Georgia.
According to Pike County EMA, an insecticide spill happened in Cordele, Georgia, early Wednesday morning. The spill traveled more than 100 miles and affected several counties in the Georgia and Alabama area. Officials say the spill is not a danger to anyone but residents are smelling a "skunky" odor. People in Troy tell CBS 8 News they began smelling the strange odor early this morning, and it lasted throughout the day.
"I just was very upset. I didn't know what the smell was and I was just like, it smells terrible out here," said Jarrod Morgan.
"I certainly wondered what it was. Of course, you know, looked around, didn't see any smoke, didn't see any fire, but certainly thought something was amiss, something was wrong," said Rob Evers.
Pike County EMA officials say the smell isn't dangerous, but those with respiratory problems should stay indoors to avoid breathing the fumes. If you have any questions, please call the Alabama Department of Public Health at (334) 693-9716 or your local EMA office.