Local authorities are looking for the cause of a fire that destroyed a Georgiana service station -- one people in the community refer to as a city icon. It happened early Wednesday morning and police say foul play may be involved.
This isn't just any old gas station -- the Georgiana Gas and Garage Service Station has been around for about 80 years, and it's also a gathering place for people in the community -- and hearing that foul play could've caused it has people in shock.
There's nothing salvagable at the Georgiana Gas and Garage Service station. Larry Creech owns it -- his convenice store items, the roof and 10 years of memories... all turned into ash.
"I had been a firefighter for 25, 26 years and it's always a little different. In the past, I've been to hundreds of fires and it never really bothered me until I pulled up and I knew it was mine," Said Creech.
Georgiana authorities say they got the call around 2 a.m. saying the Georgiana Gas and Garage Service Station was on fire. It took two pumper trucks about two hours to put it out. Now, it's a total loss.
"Upon arrival it was smoke and fire coming from the business. Afterwards, there was evidence of foul play and as far as right now, it's being investigated by fire marshalls along with [the] Georgiana Police Department," Said Georgiana Police Chief, Isaac Ward.
Creech hopes it was just an accident. He says it's the daily gatherings he'll miss most about this place.
"We always had a lot of older gentleman that would come by and sit on the bench, talk to us... something we used to do 50 years ago. And this was one place we could still do that," Said Creech.
It has not been confirmed whether foul play was involved, but sheriff deputies, fire marshalls and police have been on scene hoping to get answers on how exactly this fire started.
Nobody was hurt in that fire. If you have any information on this, you're asked to call the Georgiana Police Department at 376-2222.