Montgomery's "Big Bert" Passes Away

Tools

By CBS 8 News

Bertram Miller, who was also known as Big Bert, died at a Montgomery hospital following a stroke.

He was known for his gregarious personality as he joyfully greeted guests at Dreamland Barbeque in the Alley.

Bert taught Montgomery children their ABC's through a dance he called the "Big Bert Shuffle", and later turned it into a children's book on values that became available in the Capitol City earlier this month.

Prior to his time in Montgomery, Bert served as a city council member in Birmingham for five years.

Sad news from downtown Montgomery, as a fixture at Dreamland Barbeque has passed away.

You have indicated this comment should be removed.

The comment has been submitted for review. Thank you .

George W.Stewart said on Saturday, Aug 4 at 11:32 AM

What can we say about Bert Miller?I met Bert about 30 years ago when he was pushing his dream of a play that he eventually was able to do.We worked with Dr.Peggy Sparks and the community schools program and other community efforts.Bert was a joy to be around.The last time I saw him,I was proud to know that he was spreading his joy in the capitol city.When you truly love people,people everywhere will truly love you.Let's remember Bert as we truly love each other.

98425675
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Billy and Debbie said on Thursday, Aug 2 at 7:43 PM

RIP Bert. You made my birthday so special... We had a great time and you made all of us laugh, we will miss you. Now you can make everyone in heaven smile.

98303406
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Sumonia Reed said on Thursday, Aug 2 at 3:37 PM

RIP Bert. I remember when i was singing in the choir at Hopewell Baptist church; you would tell me you were going to be my manager. I know you are walking around heaven manageing.

98288966
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

One of his olde boys said on Thursday, Aug 2 at 2:19 PM

I remember when Bert and boys would visit the old Britling's Caferteria in Western Hill Mall back in the late 70's. We treated that "all you can eat joint" so bad that the manager would come out and say " we don't have anymore food" It was Bert that stood up to the manager and said " look like somebody need to go to the sto" We did a lot running, gunning and dirt together. Miss U Man

98283312
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Rev. Derrill Wilson said on Thursday, Aug 2 at 11:14 AM

We will miss Mr. Burt Miller he went out of his way to be a shining light for children. And he believed that dreams can accomplished. Please remember his family in your prayers.

98268972
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Hafeeza King (Brenda White) said on Thursday, Aug 2 at 8:28 AM

"Bert" was my friend!! We learned how to drive together at Wenonah H.S. I'll never forget at a red light Bert would be ready to go always before the light turned green, Mr. Talley would have to say "stop Bert". He was always ready to go. When my neighborhood flooded Bert was out there with us with the news cameras in the rain, helping us get exposure and help. When the water got so high he was right there begging his classmate to get to higher ground. I could go on and on about Bert, he was a good man, a Wenonah Dragon and a good friend....R.I.P. my friend "Bert"

98255875
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Anonymous said on Thursday, Aug 2 at 4:54 AM

Bert, we say RIP but I know that you are doing anything but!!!!! I will never forget the fun we had during your campaign. It was hard work but you always made it look easy! So, I won't say REST in peace...I say LIVE LONG AND STRONG IN YOUR NEW LIFE!! Doll White

98241495
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

JEROME AND MONICA COLLINS said on Wednesday, Aug 1 at 8:53 PM

I WILL NVR FORGET WHEN WE WENT TO DREAMLAND FO THE 1 ST TIME HE JOKED W/ME BOUT ALABAMA. WE RETURNED TO WATCH ALABAMA. AND LSU WHEN ALA WON HE GAVE ME A 6 PK ON THE ME. MISSIN HIM ALREADY

98223896
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

VICTORIA said on Wednesday, Aug 1 at 5:26 PM

Our family is saddened by Big Bert's passing.We just enjoyed him fourth of july at dreamland. For the last years he brought some much delight to my family. RIP Big Bert, we love you, thank you for treating our family special.

98211936
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Viola Williams Spivey said on Wednesday, Aug 1 at 3:41 PM

RIP Bertram Miller my dear friend i will always think of you each and every day for the rest of my life. You were my true friend see you on the other side in heaven. Love Viola Spivey

98204456
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Ernest D Miller said on Wednesday, Aug 1 at 3:20 PM

RIP Uncle thanks for teaching me the value of chasing your dreams and believing in yourself inspite of others. Love you and I will miss you!!!

98202965
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Name:

Comment: 1000 Characters Left

WNCF and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. Comments are posted on site immediately and without station moderation. If you feel a comment is inappropriate you may flag it for review. For guidelines on flagging comments see our Terms & Conditions. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.