Montgomery Fire investigators say unattended cooking on a stove ignited the fire that destroyed several units at Vaughn Meadows Apartments.
Fire crews battled the blaze for nearly an hour after it started around 10:00 Wednesday night. All residents escaped safely except for a small dog. The family tells CBS 8 their Rat Terrier, "Trouble" was scared and hid under a bed. The fire was too intense for anyone to go back in and save the dog. "It really hurts, some people just say it's an animal, but it's really more than that he was just like a family member" said fire victim Brien Givan.
Residents spent Thursday trying to salvage pictures and clothes from their apartments. The Red Cross is assisting in putting some victims up in a hotel through the weekend.